This Ancient Roman ceramic pot was probably a portable toilet, study finds

Rim fragments of a chamber pot being excavated at a Roman villa site in Sicily.

Enlarge / Rim fragments of a chamber pot being excavated at a Roman villa site in Sicily. (credit: R.J.A. Wilson)

Ancient Roman archaeological sites are littered with ceramic pots, and it can be challenging to definitively determine the purpose of any given pot—for instance, if it was used for storage or as a portable toilet (chamber pot). Researchers from the University of Cambridge and the University of British Columbia have now analyzed the residue on one such ceramic pot and identified the eggs of intestinal parasitic worms commonly found in feces, according to a new paper published in the journal Archaeological Science Reports. That’s strong evidence that the 1,500-year-old pot in question was most likely used as a chamber pot.

“Conical pots of this type have been recognized quite widely in the Roman Empire, and in the absence of other evidence, they have often been called storage jars,” said co-author Roger Wilson of the University of British Columbia. “The discovery of many in or near public latrines had led to a suggestion that they might have been used as chamber pots, but until now, proof has been lacking.”

Archaeologists can learn a great deal by studying the remains of intestinal parasites in ancient feces. Just last month, we reported on an analysis of soil samples collected from a stone toilet found within the ruins of a swanky 7th-century BCE villa just outside Jerusalem. That analysis revealed the presence of parasitic eggs from four different species: whipworm, beef/pork tapeworm, roundworm, and pinworm. (It’s the earliest record of roundworm and pinworm in ancient Israel.)

Read 9 remaining paragraphs | Comments

How to Open Task Manager on Mac – Apple Shortcut Tutorial

Having problems with our computers is never fun. And what’s often worse than the problems themselves is that they seem to occur when we’re in the middle of an important task that needs to get done. The computer starts to significanlty slow down and an app we are using might

Police in Spain dismantle a SIM-swapping ring that drained bank accounts

Police in Spain dismantle a SIM-swapping ring that drained bank accounts

Enlarge (credit: Getty Images)

Authorities in Spain said they broke up a SIM-swapping crime ring that used identity theft and falsified documents and texts to target victims’ bank accounts.

In a press release, Spain’s National Police agency said it arrested eight individuals in connection with the operation, which began no later than last March. The suspects, the authorities said, posed as bank employees and used fake messages to obtain personal information and bank details of targeted individuals.

“With this, they deceived the employees of phone stores to obtain duplicate SIM cards and, in this way, have access to the bank’s security confirmation messages,” the release stated. “In this way, they could operate in online banking and access bank accounts to empty them after receiving security confirmation messages from the banks.”

Read 7 remaining paragraphs | Comments

FDA, Pfizer abandon 2-shot COVID vaccine in kids under 5, citing new data

A small person looks at the band-aid being applied to their arm.

Enlarge / A child getting a vaccination on February 19, 2021, in Bonn, Germany. (credit: Getty | Ute Grabowsky)

The Food and Drug Administration, Pfizer, and BioNTech announced on Friday that they are abandoning plans to pursue the authorization of a two-dose regimen of COVID-19 vaccines for children ages six months to four years. Instead, they will again put the possibility of an authorization on hold as they await data on the efficacy of a third dose for the youngest children. That data is now expected in early April.

In a press release this afternoon, Pfizer and its partner BioNTech reported that COVID-19 cases among children enrolled in the initial two-dose trial “continue to accumulate according to the study protocol, and more data are being generated because rates of infection and illness remain high in children of this age, especially due to the recent omicron surge.”

“Given that the study is advancing at a rapid pace, the companies will wait for the three-dose data as Pfizer and BioNTech continue to believe it may provide a higher level of protection in this age group,” the press release continued.

Read 8 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Find the soul